Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 10 15 10:49 AM

Tags : :

Been into WoW and tabletops for years but never thought to try the WoW rpg! Enjoying it so far, making fun characters but still struggling a little with some aspect of the d20 system, so if anyone's about I'd love to ask a few questions! x

Hope you're all well
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 10 15 12:46 PM

Hi Inixon!
Welcome to the vast world of the Warcraft/WoW RPG. ;-)
I don't know if I can be of assistance, but I'll try. Just fire your questions. If I can't answer, someone else surely will!

Greetings,
Icycube

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 10 15 6:44 PM

I appreciate it! I'm slowly getting around the d20 system, there's a lot of different info available online so I'm not sure what's relevant.

One guide I read says "At every level, you get to make a choice between an extra hit point per level, or an extra skill point per level" Is that true for WoW?

Also, do you have to pay for your initial spells out of your starting gold budget? Aaaaaand do divine casters need to keep a spellbook?

Having lots of fun exploring through this forum, lots of cool content.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 11 15 3:12 AM

Hmm.... well, I never heard of a choice between extra hit points or skill points. At each level, you gain some of both, according to your class table/description. Could this be a house rule?

Your initial spells are free (part of your basic training), but if you'd like to know more spells, those count against your budget.
Divine casters do not use spellbooks, afaik. Their spells are more like prayers, which they should know by heart. ;-)

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 11 15 9:01 PM

I'm not sure if it was a houserule or not, found it in a character creation guide.

Also how does preparing spells work? Can you only prepare as many spells as you have spell slots? Or would you just try to prepare every spell you have but only be able to cast as many spells as as many slots you have?

Still getting used to spell slots!

Do you have any campaigns running at the moment or favourite characters?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Aug 18 15 2:34 PM

Yes, you prepare your spells by your available spell slots.
(That means you'll most probably know far more spells than  you can cast.)
For each preparation, you choose the spells you'd like to cast until your next preparation; each spell slot holds one usage of one spell.
So it takes some planning on what you might need for the next adventure!

(For instance, if you know you're up against fire elementals, preparing fireballs might not be the best option ;-) )

Currently, I'm setting up a campaign, but we haven't played yet.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 20 15 3:54 PM

Inixon wrote:

One guide I read says "At every level, you get to make a choice between an extra hit point per level, or an extra skill point per level" Is that true for WoW?

That happens to be from Pathfinder, a slightly different version to D&D 3.5 on which the WoWRPG Books are based. There is nothing keeping you from using that one, but strictly speaking it is not part of the original rules.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 22 15 2:24 PM

Inixon wrote:
Been into WoW and tabletops for years but never thought to try the WoW rpg! Enjoying it so far, making fun characters but still struggling a little with some aspect of the d20 system, so if anyone's about I'd love to ask a few questions! x

Hope you're all well

Welcome to the World of Warcraft forums Inixion! :-D

Inixon wrote:
I appreciate it! I'm slowly getting around the d20 system, there's a lot of different info available online so I'm not sure what's relevant.

It can be tough, especially as the "d20 System" does not actually mean one thing. It is a slightly generic term that Wizards of the Coast used for their Star Wars RPG and d20 Modern. And they released the fantasy rules twice (the first set is called 3.0 and the revised version is called 3.5). Both the 3.0 and 3.5 fantasy versions of the d20 System came with a document, called the System Reference Document, which you can find online. The SRD contains all the core rules that you need to learn, to be able to play the game. My favourite SRD website is The Hypertext d20 SRD (that's an online version of the 3.5 fantasy SRD that you can surf around when learning the rules). I've built PCs from that website, when I've been away from my gamebooks.

On top of that, there were several publishers that altered the d20 System to create their own bespoke versions. The most famous of these is the Pathfinder RPG.

Some other publishers modified the d20 System, to get it to fit in with their campaign settings. The Conan RPG did that, but so did the roleplaying books for World of Warcraft. In fact they changed the system, part way through the history, and there are two slightly different d20 System variants for the game. The first set of books have the Warfcraft: The Roleplaying Game logo and the second set have the World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game logo. So you can get confused, even by mixing Warcraft and World of Warcraft books.

However, if you are aware that there are differences, and if you pick between WoW: RPG and Warcraft: RPG you should be able to convert material that is "wrong" fairly easily, once you know what you are doing.

You could also decide to use the standard D&D rules...or Pathfinder...and convert Warcraft/WoW material to either of those systems fairly easily. (I hear that Castles & Crusades is also based on the SRD and is similar enough that you could also adapt Warcraft/World of Warcraft to C&C.)

But if you are still learning, you probably want to go with one system and stick with it...for the time being, until you have learned it enough to look at other d20 System variants, without confusing yourself.

Inixon wrote:

In standard 3.5 D&D, bonus hit points are based on your Constitution Ability Modifier. It can be zero, if your PC has a Constitution score of 11 or less, but if your PC has a score of 12-13, they get 1 bonus hp per level. If their Con score is 14-15, they get 2 bonus hp per level. If their Con is 16-17 they get 3 free hp and if their Con is 18 they get 4 extra hp per level. If your PC somehow increases their Constitution score enough to make their Ability Modifier go up by one, they automatically gain an extra hp for every character level they have (so a 10th level PC could gain a boost of 10 hp in one go).

In standard 3.5 D&D, a PC gets a number of skill points per level based on their Character Class. (This is as well as the bonus hp - not instead of the bonus hp. You get both...as long as you don't have a low Con score.) How many skill points you get depends on how much free time the designers think that members of that character class have left for learning other things. So a Wizard gets only 2 skill points per level, while a Rogue gets 8 skill points. If you are using Warcraft RPG or World of Warcraft RPG rules, they both have their own character classes, and you need to learn how many skill points you gain from using them.

There can be a lot of stuff to look up, when you are levelling up a PC. You also get some bonus things for other ability scores. It might be worth you looking through the rules for the bonus stuff you get for all six of your ability scores and the bonus stuff you get for your chosen character class, so that you copy it down into a personalised document that you can use when you are levelling up your PC. However, you do get ability score increases, as one of the things that happens when you level up, and two ability score increases to the same stat makes your ability modifier go up, so you would have to adjust any "cheat sheets" that you had made for that ability.

Inixon wrote:
Also, do you have to pay for your initial spells out of your starting gold budget? Aaaaaand do divine casters need to keep a spellbook?

Starting stuff is all factored in. That money is for extra stuff. Divine spellcasters don't need a spellbook, but they might need a holy symbol to be able to cast some spells.

Inixon wrote:
Having lots of fun exploring through this forum, lots of cool content.

It's great to have you here. Feel free to stat topics, in the various forums here, if there is not already one that covers part of that area, that you are interested in learning about.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 24 15 12:04 AM

Welcome and well met.

As one of the "old guard," I appreciate what Big Mac has done and would probably recommend the Piazza forum as a bit livelier. This may be the cynic in me, but for this community I think consolidating together is better.

If you want class variants I have tons of those and maybe even some I never posted.

One note on spell slots: WoW RPG has you prepare spells based on your Ability modifier and ranks in Spellcraft, but you are still limited by how many spell slots you have (so if you can prepare 6 but have only 2 spell slots, you can cast any paired combination of those 6, including 2 of the same spell).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help