Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 3 15 1:13 PM

Tags : :

Hey !

The maps in the books ( 1. edition and 2. edition ) have no scale bars and I didn't find anything about size or distances in the text. 
Of course the world must be bigger as it is in the pc games. There the world is scaled down so that the players don't need to travels for hours. ( wouldn't bother me though^^ )
So how big is it ? Is there any official data ? 
For example:
How much distance is between Ogrimmar and Mulgore ?
Or how many km2 has Stormwind City ?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 12 15 6:12 PM

No, unfortunately not, in the past year I collected all the books from both editions, the last one arrived just a few days ago.^^
Now I have a a lot to read. :P

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 15 15 2:47 AM

I see.

There are several online resources you may want to tap on: Even More Magic and Mayhem (EMM&M) and the Tech Primer being two prominent. I have a soft spot for several variant classes posted here as well.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 15 15 11:16 PM

Thanks but I have already every pdf except the Tech Primer, can't find it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Aug 22 15 3:06 PM

Jumbo wrote:
Hey !

The maps in the books ( 1. edition and 2. edition ) have no scale bars and I didn't find anything about size or distances in the text. 
Of course the world must be bigger as it is in the pc games. There the world is scaled down so that the players don't need to travels for hours. ( wouldn't bother me though^^ )
So how big is it ? Is there any official data ?

This is something I have struggled with myself.

It is that MMO scaling, that is the problem. It is obvious that they have shrunk the world down and that a tabletop WoW map would need to scale it back up. But as Bonetti said in my Size/scale of Azeroth (the world) for RPG mapping topic at the World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza, Blizzard have moved things around on their maps, in order to add cool-new-locations to the world. So you are going to get slightly different numbers from looking at different Warcraft/WoW information.

Jumbo wrote:
For example:
How much distance is between Ogrimmar and Mulgore ?
Or how many km2 has Stormwind City ?

The other factor at play here is that, while an MMO designer might want to shrink down the amount of time a player spends crossing the wilderness to get from one town or city to another, they do need to make sure there are enough places to visit within towns and cities.

The thing that I've kind of worked out, is that the world would need to be scaled up, but the cities and towns would need to be scaled up differently.

Some of the people talking to me have had slightly different opinions, but my view is that the actual shape of the continents and countries should stay the same, and the positions of the cities, towns, villages and other sites should remain the same, but the locations should be looked at, on a case-by-case basis, to decide on how much size increase they need to get on a tabletop-compatible Warcraft map.

If distances between cities increases, then the size of farms or the number of farms would need to increase to fill in the blank areas. The map might need to have additional hamlets to cater to the needs of farmers, and the map might need to have additional villages and towns to cater to any additional hamlets.

So, depending on how big you make the map, and what population you think should be in each nation and each existing city, town, village and hamlet, you might need to create additional stuff.

There is a lady, called Anna Meyer, who created a Map of the Flanaess, based on all the Greyhawk and Living Greyhawk content (it is a 3D map as well, so mountains have height, just as they do in the WoW: MMO). If I could get the mathematics for a MMO-to-tabletop conversion sorted out, and if I could find some people willing to help build extra roads, tracks, cities, towns and villages, I'd be very tempted to club together, with anyone else who is interested and get the cash to hire her to make a World of Warcraft map.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help