Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 29 11 5:36 PM

Tags : :

There are too many forum sections, specially considering the amount of members we have. It would be much more practical if they were greatly reduced, so that we would have a single section for Kalimdor, amongst other changes.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 29 11 9:37 PM

Not sure if anyone who's left can do anything about that. I know I have no idea how.

Or...work on filling up the sections and we'll solve the problem in a different way! Heh.

More seriously, I think part of the reason it's not as attractive to develop those sections is that the world is pretty well fleshed out by the MMO. (Sure, Azeroth is tiny, but I doubt most GMs feel a need to make it bigger and/or add locales to flesh out the world.) There isn't very much in most of the sections, though; I'll definitely give you that.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 21 11 10:36 PM

Androrc wrote:
There are too many forum sections, specially considering the amount of members we have. It would be much more practical if they were greatly reduced, so that we would have a single section for Kalimdor, amongst other changes.


I think there are two ways to go with forums: you either build a few sections and split them up later or you build lots of sections and hope to get the content later (as has been done here).

I'm on another forum that has done the "few sections" thing, and it does seem to make the forum look a bit more busy. But it can be a bit harder to split the threads up later. We went for forum tags over there (stuff like adding "[Scarred Lands]" to the title of a thread). And we only add a new subforum when we get enough threads to justify it. It does seem to work well.

But, to be honest, whichever way you do it, some people complain. I think both approaches have pros and cons.

The counter-argument against starting small and adding on subforums is that people are not aware that they can write about certain things and you don't get the threads to justify adding the subforums.

Ultimately, the person who owns a forum has to make the judgement call, as to the structure they go with, but it is the users that make the subforums a success.

Ivellius wrote:
Not sure if anyone who's left can do anything about that. I know I have no idea how.


It needs someone with an admin account. They would then need to use the Administrator Control Panel to add or remove forums. It isn't too hard, although you can't do it without admin rights.

Ivellius wrote:
Or...work on filling up the sections and we'll solve the problem in a different way! Heh.


That isn't such a bad idea. :smile:

Ivellius wrote:
More seriously, I think part of the reason it's not as attractive to develop those sections is that the world is pretty well fleshed out by the MMO. (Sure, Azeroth is tiny, but I doubt most GMs feel a need to make it bigger and/or add locales to flesh out the world.) There isn't very much in most of the sections, though; I'll definitely give you that.


I think that part of the problem is that it isn't obvious what should go into some of the sections (like "Outland Campaign"). You kind of need a "starter thread" to give people an idea of what the topic is and get the conversation going.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 24 11 9:04 PM

One of my major concerns is simply the feeling that there are not enough people left who care. To me it seems like WoW P&P roleplayers are a dying breed.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Dec 25 11 7:33 PM

Well, generating content for posting here is more the province of pretty dedicated homebrewers, which also generally implies GMs. I've got a few players who aren't what you'd call dedicated RPGers (they're just starting out, actually), and they don't have any commitment to the WoW RPG. But it has to start somewhere.

I do occasionally work on stuff, but I haven't posted anything new in a while because I'm wanting to finish whole sections before I add things here. That and I've half-decided just keeping it all in one big Word document is more ideal and less hassle than adding things here.

I do have some collections of WoW classic, BC-era, and WotLK-era prestige classes finished, however. I may get around to posting them some day if people want to see them.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 21 15 2:13 PM

Deckenpuppel wrote:
One of my major concerns is simply the feeling that there are not enough people left who care. To me it seems like WoW P&P roleplayers are a dying breed.

I cast threadomancy

hey there so while i do agree that there are alot of sub sections. the oranization is nice however it is difficult to find info for some things such as material for weapons and armor to see if anything has been done before.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 29 15 4:34 PM

gamefreak180 wrote:
Deckenpuppel wrote:
One of my major concerns is simply the feeling that there are not enough people left who care. To me it seems like WoW P&P roleplayers are a dying breed.

I cast threadomancy

hey there so while i do agree that there are alot of sub sections. the oranization is nice however it is difficult to find info for some things such as material for weapons and armor to see if anything has been done before.


I think that one of the reasons that some of the empty sections are empty, is that people didn't have any examples to follow.

But the search box (at the top right of the forum) should help you look for some topics.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help