Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 23 14 3:57 AM

Tags : :

Is there a general direction that the community is going for when it comes to the wow rpg?  I have just arrived and was wondering what everybody is doing and see where I fit in.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Feb 13 14 11:49 PM

MrGoblin
Is there a general direction that the community is going for when it comes to the wow rpg?  I have just arrived and was wondering what everybody is doing and see where I fit in

Um, if you have content contribute it? My specialty has probably been variant classes/prestige classes, but my big project was to create content to cover basically any of the Warcraft game eras, whiprch included racial statistics and classes, pre-generated characters/units, new creature stat blocks, and so on. Do you have something in mind?
Big MacI'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm still learning about WoW: RPG. (I'm also still tracking down books.)

Books are handy. I always forget I somehow ended up with 2 Monster Guides.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Feb 15 14 3:56 AM

By direction i mean what are we trying to accomplish.  Are we trying to update Warcraft to a new system?  Are we trying to build a community , or is our focus on generating and sharing content?  I figure we need to work together cause there ain't a whole lot of us anymore.

As far as my projects are concerned i have had real issues with the tech system and had worked out an outline of what I wanted to accomplish with a redo of the system.  It includes categorizing tech devices into the groups.  Wondrous, weapon, and vehicle are the ones i have come up with so far.  Then you would choose qualities for you item with those groups for example; A weapons damage die(d4, d6,d12), saving throw dc, form of locomotion ( walker, tires, treads), Energy sources, est..  Then as you add all those factors up you get a size for your item.  The more stuff it can do the larger it becomes.  Then you adjust the complexity score which lowers the size and weight of the device.
I also had an idea for campaigns and games that could increase the scale of the universe by making a setting that made more sense geographically and politically.  You could do this by visiting each geographical region and run an adventure or campaign that expanded the region and explored it more intimately.  This would inspire a lot of new content and even provide adventures that new people can pick up and run with
And to conclude this post.  Big Mac I don't think they are selling any of the books officially anymore it might be safe to get them from a file sharing sitesmiley: pimp.  Or just cruise around eBay or something they are bound to turn up sooner or later.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 20 14 3:39 PM

Ivellius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm still learning about WoW: RPG. (I'm also still tracking down books.)

Books are handy. I always forget I somehow ended up with 2 Monster Guides.

Ack! I've done that myself, although it was an Eberron book (Five Nations) that I bought two of. :-(

I've also got duplicates of a couple of novels (again not Warcraft ones) when they changed the cover.

MrGoblin wrote:
By direction i mean what are we trying to accomplish. Are we trying to update Warcraft to a new system? Are we trying to build a community , or is our focus on generating and sharing content? I figure we need to work together cause there ain't a whole lot of us anymore.

Aha! Good thoughts there. I'll tackle them individually:
  1. "Are we trying to update Warcraft to a new system?"
    I have met people who want to convert material to other systems, but it is a massive undertaking. I would not advise people to avoid converting WoW to another system, but it it took the Sword & Sorcery staff several years to make the Warcraft: RPG and WoW: RPG books, it would take several years to convert them to another system (like Pathfinder RPG). Having said that, if you like WoW and like another rules system, it makes sense (for yourself) to convert some or all of the material.

One other disadvantage with conversions is that they only really work for the people that do not want to play with the original rules in the Warcraft: RPG or WoW: RPG books. For the people who are happy with the original rules, conversions do very little (except possibly pull in new fans who play those other rules).

One thing that might be useful to people within the existing community is working with the existing Warcraft: RPG and WoW: RPG books, to convert Warcraft: RPG material into WoW: RPG mechanics and vice versa.
  2. "Are we trying to build a community"

I've been trying to help rebuild this community. That is definitely a worthy goal. I've pointed Warcraft fans here from both Facebook and the World of Warcraft forum at The Piazza. I'm sure there are other Warcraft fans out there, that do not realise this forum is here. It didn't used to be on Yuku. It vanished for a while. Then there was a bit of a spam invasion. Now it is back, but at a different URL from its original URL. If you know of any fans, do please point them this way.
  3. "or is our focus on generating and sharing content?"

That is another worthy goal. Elsewhere, I've spoken about raiding information from the World of Warcraft MMO. There is a good wiki out there, as well as many maps, and it should be possible to compile things like quest chains and turn them into adventure paths for tabletop play. It should also be possible to compile lists of MMO monsters or NPCs that are not present in the tabletop game and attempt to create stats for them.

Back when 3rd Edition D&D came out, they made a little Conversion Handbook to give people general advice on how to grab a bit of 2e D&D content and translate it into 3e content. Perhaps someone could work out a table for converting MMO levels into 3e D&D levels (looking at existing monster stats might help). ENWorld has a project to convert monsters called the Creature Catalogue project and it should be possible to copy what they do, make a list of unconverted MMO monsters and run a thread where people go through them one at a time.
  4. "I figure we need to work together cause there ain't a whole lot of us anymore."

Too right. But what we might also need is someone with a "Michael Knight" attitude, who decides to be the "one man who can make a difference" and who just goes off and makes content, finds fans to invite over, creates good threads or otherwise just "gets on with it". I've hung around with fans of different campaign settings and someone like that can really create an energy around them that brings a community to life.

5. As for "official community policy" here is what Xander212 (founder of these forums, in case you don't know) recently said over at the Warcraft forum at The Piazza:

Xander212 at The Piazza wrote:
Well, Ladies and Gentleman...

When you google WoW RPG, all of the wikis will tell you the sad demise of the Warcraft RPG franchise, and most of the them will tell you that after the closure of the White Wolf forums, most of the people flocked to a forum called WoW D20.

Well, I am hear to tell you, that after years of time struggling to get my account back, I have finally succeeded and am throwing open the doors to WoW D20!!!

Now, the bad news is, that in the course of those years I have fallen out of favor with the Warcraft gods, and no longer play the game. I am no longer up to speed on all things Warcraft, as I once was. This means that I will need the help of you fine folk. I need moderators, and content creators. The forum is still a treasure trove of user created content, and as such I would love for those of you that have created content here to go throw it over on the old forums and attempt to revitalize the old bird.

So the boss wants new content and moderators. (Maybe we need a thread about that. :-) )

MrGoblin wrote:
As far as my projects are concerned i have had real issues with the tech system and had worked out an outline of what I wanted to accomplish with a redo of the system. It includes categorizing tech devices into the groups. Wondrous, weapon, and vehicle are the ones i have come up with so far. Then you would choose qualities for you item with those groups for example; A weapons damage die(d4, d6,d12), saving throw dc, form of locomotion ( walker, tires, treads), Energy sources, est.. Then as you add all those factors up you get a size for your item. The more stuff it can do the larger it becomes. Then you adjust the complexity score which lowers the size and weight of the device.

Have you looked at any 3rd Edition material for Dragonlance? They also have gnomes that make gizmos (although probably not to the same level as the ones in Warcraft/WoW).

I'm not totally familiar with the tech system, so am not sure I would want to reboot it myself. But why don't you just go ahead and start creating threads with your ideas for changing the tech system. If you want feedback, people could give you feedback.

MrGoblin wrote:
I also had an idea for campaigns and games that could increase the scale of the universe by making a setting that made more sense geographically and politically. You could do this by visiting each geographical region and run an adventure or campaign that expanded the region and explored it more intimately. This would inspire a lot of new content and even provide adventures that new people can pick up and run with

Sounds good. I was thinking of raiding the World of Warcraft MMO map and then trying to expand the size of the world to match up with numbers in the RPG and/or the novels. I was figuring that the number of cities, towns and villages on the MMO map would need to be multiplied and the actual number of buildings in each location would need to be expanded. (But I also thought that it should be possible to keep the general shape of all the existing locations and reuse MMO buildings in the tabletop world.

I've spoken about this at the Warcraft forum at The Piazza, and have been told by a couple of my friends there, that it would not work to just expand everything. They suggested that some parts of the world would need to change shape a bit. But if someone turned up who knew a bit about cartography and we could create a master map, it would then be possible to look at the individual nations and do the sort of expansion that you just mentioned.

One thing that I think would be useful for that would be to create reference threads on the forum, where people link over to every encyclopedia article for a specific region and work out what we already have to work with.

It would take time to expand the detail on the MMO map, but if we designed a process we could chug along at whatever speed the community was happy with. We could even have a community vote to see what country to work on next (or we could work on two or three at the same time if people wanted to do that). And if we had a full list of cities, towns and villages within a certain country, we could look for naming patterns and then have a special thread for forum users to propose new names.

One detail that would need to be worked out would be to estimate the amount of expansion that was needed for each region. Some regions (like the ones with a lot of undead) might need to have less expansion than safer regions. But then again, undead need to come from somewhere, so maybe we need to create some fantasy communities and then kill them off.

MrGoblin wrote:
And to conclude this post. Big Mac I don't think they are selling any of the books officially anymore it might be safe to get them from a file sharing siteimage. Or just cruise around eBay or something they are bound to turn up sooner or later.

No. It is not safe to talk about illegal file sharing. Everyone knows that sort of stuff goes on, but Blizzard still own Warcraft. They might want to sell the RPG licence to someone else in the future, so might feel inclined to purge piracy at some point. We don't need them breathing down our necks. We want them to see this community as a potential asset. We want anyone who gets a new licence to sign up to these forums and talk to the people here about what they are building.

I've not looked on eBay recently. But I have been looking at other sources and several of the books have turned up. I have a search every so often. And I'm playing the long-game, so I'm not going to pay eBay bandits extortionate rates. What I can do now, is work with the books I can get and the online resources.

MrGoblin wrote:
http://wowrpg.fr.yuku.com/topic/322/master/1/#.UwxpSPldV8E

Here is a link to my campaign posting on the forum here.  Spread the word to the any one you think might be interested.  Thank you!image

Thanks. I've not got time to play right now, but I'll have a look to see what you want to work on.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help